20 September 2006

We Say "Farewell Steve."

This morning our Wildlife Warrior's memorial service was held at Australia Zoo. I didn't go, but we had the TV on at work and the tears flowed from patients and staff alike. I knew as soon as I heard John Williams sing "True Blue" that I would be a blubbering mess - and I was.

I was most impressed by eight-year-old Bindi. She is the most articulate child of that age that I have ever seen. Ok, the speech today was probably written for her (probably with her input) but in the past, when she has been on TV, she is very self-possessed without being precocious. I hope, though, that too much is not expected of her yet. She is only eight and even though she shows a lot of her father's spirit, she is such a baby still. However, I think Terri has her head screwed on right and will monitor things closely.

Heard on the news tonight that there was a military coup in Thailand. Normally, it would have just been a news item but Jane's brother lives there and I was really concerned about his safety. He runs a luxury chartered boat business and a couple of weeks ago, he rang through and said he had moved the boat, along with his wife and son, to Phuket. Now we know why...

It's not a long post tonight. It's a very sad day for Australia and the world, but more than that, the wildlife have lost their Wildlife Warrior.

Talk to you soon.

7 comments:

TJ said...

(((hugs))) to you my friend!!!

Lee said...

Yes, Robyn...it was a truly wonderful, fitting, emotional roller-coaster ride of a Memorial Service for Steve Irwin. I laughed, I cried, I smiled and I cried again. I sang along with John Williamson I heard somewhere on the news yesterday Bindi wrote that speech herself. She is a remarkable little girl. You could hear through the TV the gasps of the crowd as she walked in. I know I started blubbering again at that point. I, too, hope she's allowed to have her childhood...and agree with you...I think Terri has her head screwed on correctly. It's sad, sad thing that has happened.

Yesterday I played music all day and felt uplifted. I think Steve Irwin makes most of us feel a little like that. He had so much 'life'...and it is definitely contagious. I sat outside in the afternoon, opened a bottle of red, thought and wrote...and I felt good. His life was not wasted...that is for sure!

Carole Burant said...

(((Robyn))) The world has certainly lost a wonderful person in Steve Irwin and I know how very proud Australia was of him. I saw a clipping of Bindi's speech and couldn't get over how well she did! I wonder if she will continue her father's work once she's older. Hugs xoxo

Carole Burant said...

(((Robyn))) The world has certainly lost a wonderful person in Steve Irwin and I know how very proud Australia was of him. I saw a clipping of Bindi's speech and couldn't get over how well she did! I wonder if she will continue her father's work once she's older. Hugs xoxo

Mountain Mama said...

I believe Steve would be pleased that so many people mourn his passing. Certainly his family are being lifted by the love being shown.

Granny said...

I've heard they're going to show it in the states. I'll try to watch for it.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

I missed the service entirely, along with Peter Brocks, as we were out in the middle of NSW somewhere, with no TVs or radios. I have seen photos in my New Idea, and I was in tears reading the text of Bindi's speech. What a sad thing, to lose one's father, and so young. I hope she can carry on his amazing work.
Take care, Meow