22 July 2007

Another Post About Various Things

Fred's been creating havoc today. He's been taking fences down in preparation to having some large trees, which are too close to the house, removed. I had to go up to the greengrocers and, as a joke, I told him that I was going out and I wanted it all complete and the pool in when I returned! You can imagine the reply.


I arrived back home a couple of hours later (well, I'm looking for an outfit for the wedding) and I heard Fred say, "What you doing back already?" I was about to give a smart reply when my mouth dropped open in shock. Here was my lovely frangipani lying on the ground, but no sign of a hole or a tree stump anywhere. Fred just about fell over laughing at the look on my face. He was actually moving it, because it would be in the way of the pool fence and now is a perfect time to move it because frangipanis are dormant at this time of the year, and was hoping to have it done before I returned. However, it's a big tree and he needs help to replant it so his nephew is coming over to help him.

* * * * * * * *
I had a call from mum today and there is awful news about my sister-in-law, the one we were worried about a few weeks ago. She has a hole in her heart and one of her carotid arteries is partially blocked and has been for a while. Apparently she has been having TIAs or mini strokes for sometime and didn't realise it. Now this is a lady who looks after herself, exercises regularly, doesn't smoke and has a lovely slim athletic body. We are terribly upset about it all because we love her dearly. But my brother is wonderful to her and, although she isn't allowed to drive just yet, he has bought her a lovely little sports car to use when she is allowed to. They move to their beach house next weekend. My SIL is not going back to full time work but my brother can get work easily enough and it's not as if they're short of the necessary anyway, but they don't want to retire fully just yet. Just goes to show though, you never know what's around the corner.

Speaking of my brother, I asked mum if he had told her about me hanging up on him. She started to laugh and said he got quite a shock. Apparently Mum, Harold, my brother and SIL and my cousin and her partner all went out to brunch on the Sunday and he was regaling them with the story. He had everyone in fits of laughter and once he had got over the initial shock of his sister telling him where to go in no uncertain terms, thought it was hilarious. I still go into giggles at the thought of it.
* * * * * * * *
While I was at Grand Plaza earlier, I found something so deliciously decadent I had to buy a
packet...dark chocolate Maltesers. Yep, they now come in dark chocolate and after being in the fridge to chill, they are absolutely delectable. Jane popped over and I told her to try them...hehehe! Another convert...but I don't think our waistlines will benefit. Oh well, it just means working a bit harder at the gym, I guess.
It's whale watching season here again, where the humpback whales make their way north to the warmer waters to have their calves. It's a lovely sight to see when they make the return journey with their babies. I looked up the post I did last year on this very subject...in fact, last night I got so carried away reading my archived posts, I didn't go to bed until 1.30 this morning. I don't think I'll be up that late tonight, though.
The weekend is almost over for us, but I don't go out to work until Tuesday. I still have another day...lovely. Hope you all enjoyed, or are enjoying, your weekend.


10 comments:

Gattina said...

I wished I could see the humpback wales ! I have never seen a wale in my life, dolphins yes even swimming free in the see. Was it your brother who did this misterious phone call ? Then I missed something. Today it's still quite nice not very warm for summer only 19° but compared to the 14/15° we had in the past weeks it's OK. My son is sailing in the UK I hope everything is well with him because it had rained so much over there and lots of parts in England are overfloaded. But you probably saw it on TV.

wazza said...

Gidday Robyn,
I'm sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. I sure hope she is able to get treatment to help her.
Funny story of people hanging up on the phone. In the last years of my Mum's life she was in a nursing home and she would often ring any of her family at anytime (sometimes at 3am).
When she decided that she didn't want to talk anymore she would just hang up...no goodbye just click as the phone was hung up. First time this happened I rang her back to ask what happened and was told that she didn't have anything more to say. When I told Peter this story he laughed and often now we would be talking and suddenly one of us would go "click"

Unknown said...

It sounds as if you have a lot going on. I admit I had to Google “frangipani” to know what Fred was moving.

I, too, who greatly enjoy seeing whales other than on TV. They are magnificent creatures and I become upset when I see films of what the whaling industry does to them.

My thoughts and prayers are with your sister-in-law.

Granny said...

I'm so sorry about your sil. Hope she continues to improve.

Liz Hinds said...

How fantastic to be able to see whales!

I hope your s-i-l will make a full recovery. Does she need surgery? I bet your brother will enjoy retelling that story again ... and again!

I don't like dark chocolate - what a relief - I won't be tempted!

Gledwood said...

I don't get it ... was he doing you a favour (in the top posting) or doing a sneaky? Or a bit of both??

Unknown said...

Believe it or not a President whom I once served with on a non-profit board had a hole in his heart repaired last year. His carotis was clear. So, I hope this brings you hope! :)

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Wow, it must be an amazing sight, those humpback whales.
Love the sound of dark chocolate Maltesers ... mmmmm.
Hope there is something available to help your sister in law. my thoughts are with her, and all of you.
Have a wonderful week.
Take care, Meow

Andree said...

Are you really getting a pool?? I hope so!

You have won and award, Robyn, and need to go to my place to pick it up, OK? Good!

Now I have further reading of yours to catch up on! And to respond to.

Lee said...

I'm sorry to hear about your sister-in-law, Robyn...I hope things get are on the mend with her soon. We never know what is around the corner for us...we must learn to enjoy each moment.

Dark Maltesers! How about that! I must look for them, being a lover of dark chocolate and not milk chocolate.