20 December 2007

My Daughter's Creating Mischief!



Elder Daughter rang me the other night and was telling me about some beautiful kittens at the local produce store. She wondered if I would like one (or two) for Christmas. I said no, because I want to travel and it's not fair having a pet and then farming them out somewhere...well, that's what I think anyway.
Since then, I haven't stopped thinking about these kittens, so I rang her just before and told her she had caused mischief by mentioning them. She laughed and said I needed another cat. When I asked why, she replied that as I'd been unwell (I've had bronchitis), I could have done with a cat to keep me company. Now, I don't know what to do...I may have to take a little drive to the produce store and have a look for myself.
* * * * * * * *
Meanwhile, I'll tell you my menu for Christmas Day lunch. Everyone's coming over about 11 - 11.30 and while we're opening our presents, we'll be snacking on Debreciner sausage, various cheeses and Elder Daughter's "kick arse" Mexican dip, plus gherkins, pistachios and whatever else turns up, all these served with corn chips, crackers, etc.
The main menu is cold turkey, ham, prawns, smoked salmon, vegetable quiche, green salad, potato salad, beetroot, and sliced tomato and onion rings in white vinegar...with crusty bread, cream cheese, French and Thai dressings, seafood and hot chilli sauces.
Then dessert will be Elder Daughter's Christmas Cake, Granddaughter's chocolate slice, chcolate eclairs with cream, mangoes and cherries. Of course, all this will be washed down with bubbly, wine, beer and OJ and soft drinks...even chilled water if anyone wants it.
After all that, if anyone can move, we'll be going to our friends' place for Christmas dinner and a swim in the pool. Fortunately, they have heaps of room because we can stay the night if too much wine is quaffed, even though they're only 15 minutes' drive away. The coppers will be out in full force on Christmas Day and I don't want to be caught by an RBT thank you very much!
So, the count down begins and I've almost finished my Christmas shopping...I'll get my fresh stuff on Monday and then I can collapse in heap...oh, no I can't, I'm going out on Christmas Eve for a Dutch Christmas. Oh well, I'll just have to put off the collapse until Boxing Day.
In the meantime, it's Wine O'Clock, so I'm off to pour myself a glass of white. Merry Christmas!

11 comments:

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

I think you should get another cat! Better yet, get two, and that way they can keep each other company when you travel. :)

rel said...

Robyn,
A sorgasbord for the senses. Together with family and friends, you have laid out a plan for a stupendous holiday clebration.
Now if "Matilda" were to be there I'd be tempted to mozy down under to participate in the frolic.
Thanks for the lesson in Aussie vernacular. I'm a much better hiker than a dancer. ;)
You guys have a wonderful Christmas. Oh, and give Flossy an extra hug for me.
rel

Meow (aka Connie) said...

I think you should get another cat ... a house without a kitty is just not right ... at least that's what I think LOL.
Anyway, just dropping by to say HI, and to wish you a very Merry Christmas, and a safe and Happy New Year.
Hope you are doing well.
Hope to drop by more often next year.
Take care, hugs, Meow xx

Peter said...

Sounds like a full day of decadence Robyn.

Karen said...

You know if you go down to the produce store you are done for don't you? You know you're not coming home alone right? Just wanted to make sure that was squared away....lol.

Sounds like you have a wonderful Christmas lined up Robyn and I wish you all the happiness possible on the big day and every day thereafter.

PS I'm still chuckling over your response to my Wild Thing post. I just wasn't expecting that....:)

Jellyhead said...

Oooooh, are you about to own a wee *kitten* ?!! I would love to have a kitten, except my husband hates cats.

The menu sounds fabulous. I hope you have a glorious day!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

You will fall in love with a kitten if you go and see them..I know this for a FACT!! I stay away from kittens!! They just pull me in and want me to take them all home!! Kittens are one of my biggest weaknesses.
I think it would be good for you to have another cat...JUST one though. I am down to ONE now and NO they do not need another cat to keep them company. That is what humans think!! Let me know what you decide...
Have a wonderful Christmas!! Sandy

Merle said...

Hi Robyn ~~ What are you going to call the kitten??? Bet you get one at least. Have a great Christmas
Love, Merle.

Jeanette said...

Hi Robyn..A kitten or 2 finds a good home I would call 1 "lucky", as its lucky going to a good home..
But I agree with you pets are a tie when you want to travel,, Your Christmas table is overflowing;were starting with a platter of seafood, Prawns Etc.then were having tradional Roast Pork, Chicken,and ham.with all the trimmings and Plum pudding and Brandy custard.. Have a very merry Christmas with plenty of cheers... Jen

Gattina said...

Cheers ! Sounds very good your Christmas especially the "swim in the pool" !! Maybe the Americans will pull out their hairs because they dream of a white Christmas but I am for the beach or a swimming pool ! I look like a fat market wife when I go out because it is -5° (!!) and I have to put on sweaters over sweaters and coats over coats.
You see your daughter thinks like me : YOU NEED A CAT ! what is life without cats ? Boring ! Who brings you toads inside or mice ? Nobody, see ! Rosie is just laying between the keyboard and my chest purrs like mad and her tail is around my nose. Travels are no excuse you will always find somebody to take care of the cat !

Andree said...

A Dutch Christmas? I looked it up; nobody seems to know what it is. Boxing Day I know: Public Radio had a whole show on it.

And I've decided (because I know best and I am always right: that you need TWO CATS. that takes care of it being lonely if you were to go away on a trip to Vermont.