31 October 2008

The Countdown Begins

Yep, Gabbie and I take off on Monday morning...early. We have to be at the airport at 6.00 am for our flight at 8.00 am. That's going to entail leaving home about 4.45 am to drop the car off at the long term parking company, then they will drop us off at the airport via courtesy coach. Actually the cost of having my car parked for the 10 days is only $107. Not bad, considering it would cost me $100 each way to get a cab.

The cats go to the cattery on Sunday afternoon and they are not going to be impressed...especially Mitzi. I had a job just giving her some flea treatment yesterday...you know, the one on the back of the neck. Bella is no trouble. She just sits there, I don't have to hold her. But Mitzi...talk about the cat from hell! Still, I'll manage.

Gabbie is staying with me Sunday night...considering she lives half-an-hour's drive away, I thought it was more expedient to do it that way. She is getting really excited, it's her first time out of the country and she's been counting down the days for the last month. I checked the temperature in Auckland...maximum daytime temperature 16 degrees C, minimum overnight 9 degrees C. We've been getting close to 30 degrees C here during the day, not sure what the overnight temp is but it's certainly warmer than 9 degrees.

So, today I guess I'd better sort out the winter woollies. I packed everything away a couple of months ago...it's been summer clothes since then.

I'm taking Harry's Christmas present over and wrapped it yesterday. It's a very large remote controlled tarantula...very life like, black, hairy and horrible. Harry will love it and his father will curse me. But can you imagine when I fill out the customs declaration...remote controlled tarantula. Actually I wonder what would happen if I left "remote controlled" off the card...great consternation I expect. I could probably create an international incident at Auckland airport...the possibilities are very tempting, but I'd better behave. Gabbie would not be impressed if I spoilt her holiday on the first day.

I pick up a hire car at the airport but Mum and Harold are still coming out to meet us and lead us back to their house. Apparently there's a new motorway been built and the route to their place has completely changed. I'm rather thankful they'll be there in that case.

I don't know if I'll get a chance to post while I'm away...my parents do have a computer but they're still on dial up as it's free in New Zealand. That would drive me nuts after broadband. I'll see how we go. My brother has a new you beaut computer with all the bells and whistles so I may get the chance when we're there.

If I get another chance to post before Monday, I will, otherwise this is it...

6 comments:

Gattina said...

If you don't post again, have a very nice trip ! 15° would be warm for me because here we just have 4° today !
I don't know at all the place you are going to so I am curious about photos ! Travalling with a remote controlled tarantula must be very exciting ! would be something for me, lol ! Try to hold in on your knees while you sit in the airplane !
When you have some money to spent buy a GPS it is great ! It works in all countries ! I bought the one for Europe and eastern Europe and it finds even the smallest villages ! I don't drive anymore without it !

Peter said...

Hope your visit to NZ goes well Robyn, Wazza & I are leaving for Vic. on Sunday so we'll have lots of photos and stories when next we meet.
Have a good one!!!

Merle said...

Dear Robyn ~~ Have a great trip and enjoy your holiday with Gabbie. You will be missed if you can't post from NZ.
I got a script yesterday for Panadol Ostio from my doctorr, who said it gives good results. Thanks for the tip about it. Glad you enjoyed the jokes.
Take great care, my friend. "see" you later. Love, Merle.

Mountain Mama said...

Have fun. I hope the kitties don't give you much trouble.

Liz Hinds said...

Have a wonderful time!!

That's if you're allowed in what with tarantulas and stripping naked ...

Walker said...

I hope you have a fabulous time in New Zealand.