27 July 2010

Spending the Kids' Inheritance...What Fun!

Jane and I have been going to the Sunday markets lately...yes, that's right.  In the cold weather, we've been heading off at about 5.15 am to bag the bargains.  (Pardon the pun, which you will understand when you read on).

At the moment it's our strawberry season, so Jane's been getting jam strawberries and making her wonderful jam.  With lemonade scones and whipped cream...you ain't tasted anything until you taste Jane's scones.


The range of fruit and vegetables at the markets is amazing and there are Asian veges there that I've never seen before...real strange looking things.  If I remember, I'll take my camera next time and get some photos.  One of you may know what they're called, how they're cooked and what you use them for...


I have a wheat intolerance and have trouble sometimes finding bread with no wheat added.  I can eat rye and oats as gluten doesn't bother me and last week I found a rye sourdough loaf that was to die for.  It had that wonderful crusty top and when I got home, I cut off a thick slice and had it with loads of butter and vegemite...my idea of heaven.  However, after demolishing that loaf, I decided against buying it every week or I'd be deserving of the name Mrs Michelin...


But...I've been getting some bargains in other things,  Over the last couple of weeks, I've bought four handbags.  When I told Suzie that, she asked me why I was collecting handbags.  "Because they're there," I replied.  At $25 each brand new, who cares why I'm buying them...


During the week, I decided I needed some new joggers.  My current ones are so battered and disgusting looking, they're only suitable for gardening in now.  I tried a few pairs on and they were ok, but then the shop assistant showed me some new ones that had just come on to the market.  Oh, my feet were in heaven.  Wearing these shoes is like walking on a cloud.  They are so light, have a very good arch support and fit like gloves, so I bought those.  

Now once I'm in a shoe store, I can't see the point of leaving until I've had a good look round, which I did.  Much to my delight, I found a pair of brand name leather wedge heeled smart black court shoes.  They were originally $130 but I got them for $90.  So two pairs of shows for under $200...not bad, I thought.

Below are some photos...



One,

Two,



Three, and...



Four!


The last word in comfort for walking


How are these for smart?

 Ok, I hear you say, I didn't spend an awful lot of the kids' inheritance on the above.   Well, I've also booked a flight to New Zealand over Christmas and New Year...I should be able to get rid of a bit more during that time...

Take care of yourselves until I next put up a post.

13 comments:

The Chair Speaks said...

With such bargains, no wonder you are willing to bag them in the early morning. :)
That pair of shoes in the last picture is real smart looking and it goes well with the handbag in the first picture!

Merle said...

Hi Robyn ~~ Good for you and Jane, the walking around is great exercise
for you both as well as getting some great bargains. Glad you liked my poem and the Macca's joke.
Peter did have another pterygium, but is over it OK. J have cataracts growing too, but they are not as bad,Take care my friend,Love, Merle.

Gattina said...

Now you only have to transform yourself into the Indian godess who has 8 or 10 arms, forgot to count, so you can use all handbags at the same time !
I love the sport shoes we call them baskets, all other shoes look the same to me I am not at all a shoe fan. You can walk barefoot or in slippers besides me for 20 years or more and I wouldn't even notice it ! I would be a very bad witness in a crime !

Tinsie said...

Way to go, Kat! But... four handbags?!! WOW.

Love the trainers. You can't go wrong with pink and white :-)

P.S. Looking forward to veggie photos!

Merle said...

Hi again Robyn ~~ the buccaneer joke was in the paper and I thought it
was a good one.. I am going OK, but haven't got much energy. Look after yourself, Love, Merle.

Liz Hinds said...

I need you to buy a bag for me! I really need a new one but I look at them and I think, 'Oh, I can't be bothered!' I'm the same with shoes.

Lemonade scones?

TorAa said...

It's nice to read your blog again.

I think you have bought yourself nice bags and excellent footwear, so who cares about budget?

While you are in the beginning of the Strawbeery Season, we are in the end.

Unknown said...

Good shopping, Kat! You have nudged in me my long asleep shopper's self. I must get out to a mall soon.

Flossy said...

Stop spending my inheritance woman!
I have a new blog if you'd care to come and visit me :)
xox

rel said...

Robyn,
Those joggers and the flats are cool, the bags don't do much for me. That's a good thing, right?
Bread is my favorite food by far and I don't have any food intolerances. :) Think of the Michelin man waving from the US; I'm sure you'll see me if you just sguint a little.
rel
P.S. we spent the children's inheritance on the grand-daughters this week! :)

Merle said...

G'Day Robyn ~~ Glad you liked the church jokes. I liked your story
about Father Piss Be with you. It's
all in the accent. We have had a few days of heavy soaking rain here
and I have had enough as I have laundry to do. I hope the water storages are getting it. I keep warm
with heaters in the lounge and the kitchen and my electric blanket is like a good friend that I am off to join very soon. Take care, Love Merle.

Gledwood said...

What is it with women and shoes!!?! They're very nice shoes I'm sure and I'm sure you don't have another pair like either one of them..!!!

The second bag down (I think it was) with the letter G on it, that one I like.

I don't really like going shopping, except in Harrods, and got banned from shoeshop expeditions with the houseful of girlies I used to know from uni because I have "the taste of a drag-queen" ie everything transparent, sparkly or gold I picked out and said "wow! Look at this!" then wondered aloud why they wanted yet another pair of matt black or brown shoes that look just like the other twelve!

Well that's the female mystique for you. It's like the naughty goblin to a wild hamster, follows them around everywhere... (had to get a hamster reference in somehow..!)!

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend, what's left of it. It's just after 6am here, which means surely it's 5pm to you..?

Must ping! Cheerio! :-)

Walker said...

THe way I see it is that you are only shopping bargans so you are saving money for their inheriutance HA HA HA