29 January 2011

Musings

A week has passed since my last post and it's been a week of contrasts.

Right smack bang in the middle of week, Wednesday, was Australia Day, a public holiday.  As usual, the weather was fine and hot and so the day was spent with family and friends around my daughter's and son-in-law's pool.  Accompanying the water was yummy food and pink bubbles...no Australia Day is complete without pink bubbles...as well as fake tattoos of the Australian flag.  This is in the spirit of celebrating all things Australian, you understand.  It is mandatory that everyone sports a fake tattoo, placed anywhere on the body and some find the most interesting sites on which to place a tatt!  It might have been a different story if the tattoos were real...

The next day, my youngest daughter posted on Facebook that she had that vital glowing and healthy look (otherwise known as sunburn).  I had that look too.  I think it had to do with the pink bubbles myself.

Yesterday (Friday) I had an appointment with the ophthalmologist to see if my cataracts had advanced enough to be removed.  I figured it would be cheaper to do that than to keep having the lenses of my glass changed every few months.  But sadly, no.  I was given a script for new lenses instead.  Oh well, the upside is that I can now see the road a bit more clearly when I drive...

Next month I have an appointment with a rheumatologist.  Now that's a worry.  One can't help thinking that rheumatitis equates to getting older.  Oh wait...that's right, I am getting older...which was another event that happened during the last 10 days or so.  I have officially been a pensioner for the last three years now, I have a pension card and a health care card to prove it.  Anyway back to the rheumatology appointment...

A couple of months ago my left ankle became very sore and swollen overnight.  This phenomenon also happened about five years ago.   My first thought was gout, but an x-ray showed nothing.  This time the doctor decided to do some blood tests and the rheumatology markers were raised...so he referred me to the rheumatologist.  At least I get to have lunch with a friend, who works in the same medical centre...

I now go to yoga twice a week as a vacancy has come up in the Thursday morning class, much to my delight.  I love yoga...especially this particular group.  Our teacher is very good, the other ladies are a lot of fun (we're all of a "certain age") and the yoga stretches our minds as well as our bodies.

Jane's hand is completely healed and I passed your good wishes on to her, thank you very much.  She's a fast healer, that one.  We were worried she wouldn't be able to get in the pool on Wednesday, however she was able to swim and enjoy herself rather than sitting on the sidelines watching the rest of us.

We weren't able to go to the markets last week because of Jane's injured hand...she would have had trouble carrying things and she was too sore, anyway.  So, tomorrow we're off.  I need yoghurt, Jane needs the yummy organic sausages we buy and we are both hanging out for our weekly breakfast of Romanian pie.  It's like a huge savoury pancake with bacon, feta, dill, spring onion, etc., with lemon juice squeezed over the top.  We have half each and that, along with freshly brewed coffee, is our Sunday morning breakfast and it is soooo delicious!  Occasionally we also buy cinnamon covered almonds, not too often, but as a treat to nibble on during the week.


* * * * * * * *

As if Queensland hasn't suffered enough, the poor people up north in Townsville are being monstered by a cyclone which is due to cross the coast Sunday or Monday.  This cyclone, named Anthony, made it's appearance earlier in the week then drifted away from the coast as a low.  Now it's turned itself into a Category 1 cyclone and has decided to pay a visit.  Great...not!

Brisbane has got itself up and running again although the ferry services will be out of action for months, the River walk is going to take millions of dollars to repair and of course, some people's homes are ruined.  But you can't keep people down for long and the optimism is quite palpable.  How does the song go?  "We get knocked down, but we get up again.  You're never going to keep us down..."  That about sums it up.

Have a nice weekend.

16 comments:

Margaret Cloud said...

I was wondering if my comment came through?

Carole Burant said...

I love how Australians celebrate full tilt, I'd fit in well! lol Now you have me curious as to exactly where some people put those tattoos!!! hehe

What a shame your cataracts can't be removed yet. I know it took a long while before my mom's cataracts were "ripe" enough. I am glad, though, that you can see the road a bit more clearly when you drive with your new lenses! LOL

I've never tried yoga but I've heard it's an excellent form of exercise and relaxation. Good for you for taking the classes twice a week!!

Romanian Pie...sure sounds delicious!!! It's funny you should mention cinnamon covered almonds because the last time we went to Niagara Falls, I bought some and it was my first time tasting them. Loved them!!

Queensland certainly is getting hit hard this year, hopefully Mother Nature will settle down soon!! xoxo

Gattina said...

I was at the ophtamologist 3 weeks ago and my view gets better ! (isn't that funny ?) My eyes are healthy and my shortsightness became better with the age ! Now I have to wear glasses only while driving or watching TV !
I did Yoga for 2 years, until I had learned enough to do it each morning at home, when I wake up. 4 postures in bed and 4 up, and then I am fit. It helped me a lot to get rid of backaches and I can jump around again like a kangaroo ! My group was not that nice. Women came, did their yoga and then disappeared. My acqua gym group is fun ! Monday we will have lunch all together.

rel said...

Robyn,
Rheumatism eh? Well just so you know, it doesn't effect just older folks; I've a bit of it in my right hip and surely I'm not old. So there, you see?
And I see yours didn't hamper your enjoyment of Australia Day!
:)
rel

Hootin Anni said...

Hello dear Kat. I'm trying to catch up on my last week's visitors since I've been away from the computer most of the time....now, tell me, what is the significance of pink bubbles?

I tellya, your country has suffered enough with the unruly weather!! I do hope soon it calms down for all. But I know that you Aussies are a strong breed and will come back fighting!!!

Merle said...

Dear Robyn ~~ Sounds like your Australia
day went well, barring the sunburn. Sorry
to hear about Jane injuring her hand.
I sure hope Anthony doesn't do any more
damage to Q'ld. They have had enough.
Glad you liked the family photo and the
poems and "in to the hole he goes" joke.
Take care my friend, Love, Merle.

Gledwood said...

Gout??!

Surely not!

What have pink bubbles to do with Aussie Day?

I heard it's a Wednesday which is highly inconvenient re Long Weekends!

Walker said...

Like i said to Peter, you are a tough bunch.
You're country is getting an ass kicking by the elements and you keep on pushing on and making new beer to sell us.
At least you found a way to get rid of the extra water from the flooding.

You just stay safe and i'll keep drinking the beer ;)

Liz Hinds said...

In spite of the rheumatology and optical appointments you sound in good spirits. Enjoying life as always. Good to hear it too.

Gledwood said...

I just made a typo in Merle's message talking about gout when I just meant "going out"... DUR!

Thanks for your message. Hey I thoughtyou were blogging again, so where's the new posts, come ON I miss you.

All the best and KEEP BLOGGING PLEASE.

THANKYOU XXX

Gledwood said...

Bloody hell it's been 6 months, what happened to you? I used to hear from you nearly every day... come back!!

I MISS YOU ;-)


And I'm off the gunk. Hopefully for good this time...

TorAa said...

Hi there,
still around - miss your blog

Tor
Oslo, Norway

Christine and FAZ said...

My human (who is Australian) says that Australia never does anything by halves, especially the weather. I think she likes living in the UK where the weather is a bit more predictable - even when it's snowing like today. FAZ

Unknown said...

Expressing is more satisfying than any thing.....So express yourselves..

Read me on my blog, were my thoughts are shared.....Thank u all....
http://freedomofexpression-rahul.blogspot.in/

Pear tree cottage! said...

Just the lovliest thing coming back to visit and I see your moments in time are still wonderful to read.......see you again real soon.

Hugs Lee-Ann

Cheat Game Onlines said...

Ingin memainkan permainan Bandar66 dengan lebih mudah dan cepat, disarankan untuk bermain menggunakan Bobol Server Judi Bandar66.