20 December 2008

Christmas has brought out the worst in people...including me.

No, not Christmas itself. The shopping one does for Christmas. Yesterday, I went to the supermarket to buy a few things for our pre-Christmas get together being held today. As my family are going in all directions this year, we're having our Christmas early.

So, yesterday I make my way to the supermarket. First off, there were a couple of boys, about 9 or 10, playing handball and the parents taking no notice at all. Never mind that the people were having to dodge them and the ball. Then a little girl in front of me decided to do the splits (obviously a budding Cirque du Soleil performer), heedless to the fact that I nearly stood on her. Where was her mother? Looking on and smiling fondly...stupid woman, didn't she understand her little one could get hurt doing something like that in a crowded shopping centre.

Having made my way into the supermarket, in this case, Woolworths, I proceeded to pick up the few things I needed before making my way to the fruit and veg section. I was looking for herbs, namely mint, Thai basil and coriander. Oh they had herbs there alright, but they were not what you'd call fresh. The coriander was yellowing, the mint had gone black around the edges and the basil was very limp. Woolworths the Fresh Food People? I don't think so. Could they be had for false advertising? It's an interesting thought.

I then decided to go to our neighbour's large country market shop. I know that everything is fresh there, the trouble was, it's 10 km out of my way. Still, I needed these particular herbs for the salad today. On my way out of the supermarket, one of these so-called "yummy mummies" in a large four wheel drive decided she didn't need to give way to me...I had the right of way...and I nearly hit her. Now I have a little car and hitting that huge thing would have caused my little vehicle quite a large amount of damage whereas she wouldn't have much at all.

Actually, yummy mummy is nowhere near what I'd call the young mothers who shop at that particular supermarket. Bogans or ferals is closer to the term. Ignorant, loud mouthed and crude, overweight and tattooed with any sort of taste all in their mouths...does that give you some idea?

Today, I had to return to the same shopping centre, just for one or two presents which I needed for this afternoon. After driving around all four carparks, not finding a park and coping with the aforementioned ignorant four wheel drive owners, I decided to go back home. But...I had one more challenge to face. As I was slowly (very fortunately for me) driving out of the carpark, two women with their laden trolley deliberately walked directly in front of me, all the while staring at me as if daring me to keep moving. What a pair of hard faced bitches they were. One had a thin trap of a mouth, turned down at the corners with a face that could crack rocks and the other had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth, also with a face that only a mother could love.

Too bad about the presents. I'll get them later and post them...I couldn't stand it any longer and drove home.

What is it about this time of the year that makes people even more aggressive than usual? I've actually found it quite intimidating and depressing. Usually, I love Christmas, even with all the hype and crowded shopping centres. I can cope with it all and still keep my cool. Not this year...it's really affected me in a very negative way and I really don't like that...it's not me.

I'm being curmudgeonly...there, I've been wanting to put that word somewhere for the last couple days. What better place than here...against myself.

6 comments:

Gattina said...

I got the impression that people are friendlier this year. Last year I thought everybody drank a bottle of vinegar before going shopping.
I have to take antibiotics now, the doctor came yesterday ! Hopefully I will be OK to travel to Amsterdam !

Jeanette said...

Gday Dear Robyn..We dont seem to have that problem here in Yarra. But oh boy . The last time i shopped in Albury,some rude kid nearly skittled on his skate board just as I was to go into a shop He thought it was funny that I had to jump out of his way or go downn in a heap on the ground.. I yelled at him told him he should be more carefull as there were a lot of elderly poeple shopping . and he begrudgly said sorry jump on his board laughed and dissappeared.

Mountain Mama said...

I'm so sorry your shopping experience was so negative.
I have occassionally come across a nasty shopper but that was not at Christmas time. So far this year I have seen only friendly faces and polite people. It's a good thing too, because I find the older I get the less junk I put up with. I say what I think.

Walker said...

Tis the season to be jolly is for those who don't shop and only receive.
I have had to deal with twits all day today when i took my mother.
I wish someone would dare me not to stop HA HA HA

Liz Hinds said...

Ah, bless you, what a rotten day! I know just the sort of woman you mean ...

Never mind, done now, You can relax and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I could not agree with you more Robyn. This year people hereabouts have been very angry and aggressive and as for being on the road, I have felt quite intimidated more than once.

It's awful isn't it and any Christmas spirit I did have was quickly squashed every time I braved the shops. Now it's over though it is slowly coming back.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and stay safe.