07 May 2007

Eating Pistachios in Bed

Believe me, that is not a good idea. I did it the other night. I went to be early (for a change) to read, as there wasn't anything on TV that particularly interested me. As I'd had a very light dinner...soup...I felt a trifle peckish after about an hour or so. I would have loved some chocolate, but sadly I had none. So...I grabbed a handful of pistachios and a small bowl to put the shells in.

Trying to read and crack pistachios has its trials, I would want to turn a page so would have to drop the nut back in the bowl, turn the page and try again. Some of them were so difficult to crack open, it would be page turning time again...repeat steps two and three. Not only that, but if I was in an exciting part of the book, I missed the bowl and the shells ended up in the bed. They're worse than toast crumbs.

I can hear the thought processes...eating pistachios in bed? Eating toast in bed? Hey, it's my bed, I'll eat what I want in it. The only one who would worry is Oscar and he couldn't care less. It's one of the sublime blisses of living on one's own...I can eat what I like, when I like and where I like.
I very rarely go back to bed after I have risen. Once I'm up, that's it. If I do make myself a coffee and some toast to take back to bed...I feel decidedly hedonistic. No, my usual time for eating in bed is evening...on those evenings I go to bed early enough to do so...not that that happens all that often, either. I'm a bit of a night owl, even though I do get up early. But usually when I have a late night snack, I'm either on the computer or watching TV...not in bed.

However, the other night I was in bed and because I had no chocolate, pistachios it was. I must have missed a shell in the sheets because at some stage, I remember something being bloody uncomfortable and sticking into me, but couldn't wake up enough to do anything about it. Sure enough, when I made the bed the next morning, there it was. One neat half of pistachio shell lying very innocently on the sheet.

I don't mind eating in bed...it's the crumbs and/or shells from the toast/nuts that annoy the hell out of me. Because no matter how much and how carefully you brush the sheets, you do not get rid of all the detritus from those two food stuffs. It must be sod's law...eat in bed...pay the price!

However, I only do that in my own home...I would hate for people to know what a slob I really am...chortle.

19 comments:

Merle said...

Hi Robyn ~~Eating Pistachios in bed ?
What's wrong with that ? I'd go for cashews though - - no shells!!
Thanks for your comments, glad you liked the jokes, even the ones you sent. I liked that "May my house be too small to hold all my friends."
Good one.Take care,Robyn, Love,Merle

Gattina said...

I only see one solution to your problem ! You have to take private lessons with an ape ! They do it perfectly well or maybe a chipmonck or squirl they are very good for that too if you think an ape is too big.
I follow your motto "In my bed I eat what I want !" or mine "my bed is my freeddom !"
If you want to have a look at the apes I posted pictures of my visit in the Zoo of Antwerp for Cyber Cruise on my countries & cities blog.
I also have a funny video song on my main blog "Jesus will survive" it's worthwhile ! I think I should become a better christian after having seen that ! He is very handsome !

fifi said...

ha ha, funny.

I went to bed covered in sand the other night...and its still there!

yuk!

Tammy said...

You are a hoot!! Loved this!
I keep a candy stash in the drawer beside me...yummo chocolate!!
;)

Carole Burant said...

I eat the red pistachios...imagine that red dye on my bedsheets??? lol Bad enough my fingers get all red and then I can't lie that I'm not the one who ate all the pistachios! hehe I often eat in my bed and as you say, no matter how careful you are, crumbs or whatnot end up in it! lol xoxo

Meow (aka Connie) said...

I'm not a big fan of pistachios ...now, give me almonds, and I'm ecstatic !!
I don't mind eating in bed, but you are so right, no matter what ... the crumbs never disappear !!
Have a great week.
Take care, Meow

Anonymous said...

I'm with Merle.... could'nt you find anything shell'less? I was just about to tell you my nasty habbit then changed my mind..... lol.... too nasty to share!
Hope the nuts were worth it.
Have a groovy week Robyn.

Jellyhead said...

hehe...I can just picture that small pistachio shell, lying sweetly on the sheet the next morning after torturing you all night!

I rarely eat in bed, but I eat on the couch in the evenings and get crumbs all down between the cushions....tut tut!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought about it but we never ever eat in bed. Maybe because it is too far to go to snack but I haven't done that since I was in my 20s....I think some things people told me about getting older were true!

The little picture cracked me up, what a great smile!

Jeanette said...

Hi Robyn. Oh I love Pistachios but not in bed all those shells I would have to get up and remake the bed, and I just love the smug look on the cats face.

Liz Hinds said...

There are many advantages to being on one's own in bed!

I'm not a big nut fan but I do love handfuls of Frosties straight from the box. And some of them always end up down my cleavage!

Oscar the Puppy Cat said...

I like to eat peanuts in bed. But like you, reading and eating nuts that you have to crack can be a real pain! And then there's Oscar. My cat won't eat people food but he loves to eat peanuts shells. She between cracking nuts, turning pages and wiping debris away, I have to constantly chase the cat away from the shells!

Lu said...

LOL! Yep . . .you are right about the crumbs in the bed. Once there, nothing left to do but strip it! LOL!

Unknown said...

My mom loves the pistachios!
Yummy!

●๋: ●๋:
´´´´´●๋: ●๋:
´●๋: ●๋: Luna Spain ●๋: ●๋:
´´´´´ ●๋: ●๋:
´●๋: ´●๋: ´●๋: ´●๋:

Suzanne R said...

Oscar is adorable! Love his smile! ;-)

I don't eat in bed, even though I live alone. My late husband used to and I hated the crumbs! LOL! I do eat sitting in my recliner and that's where the bits and pieces wind up -- on the floor in front of it. LOL!

rel said...

Robyn,
You're a brave soul indeed!
I'd go bonkers trying to read and navigate nut shells at the same time....whew. I could do one or the other but not both. But then again, I don't read in bed either. I do both, snacking and reading, primarily at the kitchen table. Once in a while I read in my den/library.
The only thing I do in bed is...a....hold that thought. ;-)
Oh yes....Sleep.
rel

Celeste said...

Love that smile!

Lee said...

You do not need to excuse yourself to anyone, Robyn! It's your home, your bed...do whatever you want in it and eat whatever you wish in it!

I watch tv from my bed, so I, like you, Robyn..often have crumbs in my bed...and I mean the food variety! ;)

Gattina said...

Still not a clean bed, lol ?

Blogger is full of troubles this morning (your evening) I do my weekly shopping now instead !

Arthur discovered his tail ! He asks himself what is hanging there behind him and tries to catch it ! It's too funny ! It's a pitty I don't know how to take a little video and put it on my blog !