21 August 2008

A Trip to "Town"

There wasn't much work yesterday, Wednesday, so I decided to go into the city. I had a few things to do which I had saved up to get them over and done with all together.

I didn't want to take my car into the city so drove to the station and caught the train in. This was at 9.30 am and it's a totally different trip to the commuter trains early in the morning. The first thing I noticed was that it was one of the new trains...so quiet and clean. No graffiti, lovely clean seats...I wonder how long that will last. They obviously don't put these new trains on for the early morning commuters or when the school kids are using them. Wise thinking.

I had promised my granddaughter I would go to the Dept of Immigration to pick up a form she needed (long story, which I won't go into here...suffice to say, bureaucratic idiocy. Enough said?). Then I really needed a couple of new pairs of jeans and the shop that sells the ones I like are in the city. So I picked those up...and they had only gone up by $9 in the 10 or so years since I bought the last couple of pairs. Yep, they are very well made and worth the money.

Then I went to my old workplace to pay my friend Helen the money for our trip to the Toowoomba Festival of Flowers which is next month. (I'll post about that). Of course, I walked in and Helen, as a joke, had switched my old computer on and invited me to sit down and start working! Yeah right...

It was good to see the old crowd, even if they did try and get me back to work...including the doctors. However, I stood firm and told them in no uncertain terms how I felt about their suggestions.

I arrived back home at 3.00 pm, absolutely wiped. Now I know why I moved to the country. Another thing I noticed was all the shiny clean cars...unlike my dusty vehicle. Oh, when I lived in the city, my car was pristine, too. It lived in the garage all week and was only used for shopping on late night and to go visiting in the weekends. Now, I have to use it just to get to our nearest shop...about six km away...I would walk it, but it would take too long to get there and I would have forgotten what I wanted...

8 comments:

Merle said...

Hi Robyn ~~ Glad you got to go to the city for the things you needed.
It is always nice to get out of the city also. Thanks for your comments about the blonde joke. It was a good one. Take care , my friend, Loe, Merle.

Gattina said...

When I go to the market in Brussels on Sunday mornings I also always take the train because it is so difficult to find a parking space. And now since I am 65 I can travel in whole Belgium for 4 € !! and bus and tramway are free. Otherwise I really need my car because I live outside the town and there is no public connection to the city center. It's not far about 4 km but walking with shopping bags ???

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Glad that you got a day away!! That would be nice for me today but I am at home and just trying to get things done. You know i think it spoils you when you have a vacation..so many fun things to do and then there is home..smile!! Silly me!! Hope all is well in your world today. Sandy

Mountain Mama said...

I hope you post some pictures of the Festival of Flowers. It will be fascinating to see those that grow in your area.

I always drive to town. It's only about 20 minutes from my home and the bus stop is at least a mile away and it would be hard to carry all the packages that far.

It's wonderful that you like your new job so much.

Ellen Whyte said...

I looooove the suburbs. Trees, parks and shops you can walk to. If there were pavements that is. In Malaysia pavements are hard to find so we have to traffic hop quite a bit :-)

Karen said...

You just can't beat country living can you, dusty cars and all. I live 8kms from the nearest shop but I wouldn't change it for the world.

I detest going into the city and have to be dragged there kicking and screaming. Too much traffic, too many people, too much everything....Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Phew what a day you had!!
Have a good weekend
Diane

Walker said...

I don't blame you for taking the car if there are hills like in NZ. I tell you the store was a km from where i started as the crow flies and must have walked 10km doing up and down hills.

I hate grafitti