18 October 2007

Never a Dull Moment...Two



I was happily working away on my computer last night when...the lights went out, the computer went off, the fridge went off and...the TV stayed on. Work that one out. When I looked at the lights though, they were on, but very dim...what is known as a brown out. I looked out the window...the neighbours had lights, Ken had lights, Jane and Fred didn't have lights, or none that I could see.

I grabbed a torch and was making my way over to see what was going on when I heard Fred call out. We compared notes and their fridge was going, but the separate freezer wasn't. They had lights in the rumpus and laundry, but nowhere else. Ken had lights in the lounge room but nowhere else, and had no TV. I had nothing but the TV going! Totally weird.

So, Jane rang Energex who told us to switch everything off and not to touch sinks, taps or any other metal as, in a brown out, they can often be live. Lovely! This is at about 10.00 pm. We looked at one another in the torch light and Fred asked if we wanted a drink. Jane and I promptly asked how he was going to do that with no power...he was talking about wine. Oh, why not while we were waiting for the emergency crew to come out.

By 11.00 pm, I was sick of waiting and said I was going to bed. I woke this morning and the first thing I did was switch on a light...yep, power. Checked by switching the jug on for coffee...yep, that worked, too. Thank goodness...I cannot face the morning without coffee!

However, it's done strange things to my computer. My blog no longer has its background colour and various other components are just white with black print, too. It's strange but I can cope with it and everything else is okay with my computer, too.

So there you go...another one from the files of Never a Dull Moment. I wonder what and when the next one will be. I'm going to catch up on blog reading now. Talk soon.

16 comments:

Tammy said...

We have brown outs from time to time, but I never knew that about not touching sinks and such...thanks for the info!

Your blog looks fine on this end!

Granny said...

We have the occasional brownout as well. Nuisance.

Your blog looks fine to me. I have Firefox.

Try reinstalling your browser maybe?

Gattina said...

Hehe, maybe a Halloween ghost moved in for a little while ? I never had that or it's everything or it's nothing. Strange what happened to your Blog on your computer, but this is the occasion for a new outfit !
I just published 13 advices to become a good politician, so if you want to change career, read it. You are not too old, politics start with 70 ! and look at old Fidel !

Peter said...

Ho, ho, ho, Hazel, ... no wait thats Santa isn't it, anyway spooky your blog is OK here too so if it hasn't come good at your end.... its only there it seems.
Don't touch the sink sounds like an excuse for not doing the dishes to me.

Merle said...

Hi Robyn ~~ Two down and one to go!! Hope it will be a good one in the Never a Dull
Moment household. Glad all is well so Tale greater care,
Love. Merle.

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Yikes! I'm glad you have your power back now. I hope the remaining little things get sorted out with your computer!

Karen said...

I could have sworn I left a comment before....

I have never heard the expression brown out nor did I know that about touching something metal so thanks for that, good to know.

When we lose electricity for a little while it makes you wonder how people ever managed before it was invented. I think we might be a bit spoiled by all the mod cons we have these days.

Andree said...

not to touch those water/metal things? what's up with that??? Makes me wonder what else I should know that I don't know.

i'm glad your back. i figured something was up; never counted on computer glitches (because macs never get sick!) but thought maybe work, kids, stuff like that!

I'm off to New Haven today to visit a daughter! unless i have a flat tire, which i suspect.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Well what fun!! Your blog looks just fine to me today!! Hope all is completely back to normal. i have never heard of a brown out!! We call it a black out!! I had never heard of this before..You taught me something today..Sandy

Christine and FAZ said...

a brown out - that's a new one on me. scary about the metal stuff being live. Christine

Carole Burant said...

I've never heard of a "brown out" and it's never happened here where we have power in some rooms and not in others...we only get the complete power shutoff! lol Your blog looks fine to me too:-) xox

Jellyhead said...

Brown-outs are weird, aren't they? The first time we had one, I thought I was imagining things (the lights seemed strangely dim, but it was just around dusk, so I found it hard to be sure) until the neighbour came over to see if our lights were 'weird' too!

Hope you have a happy day today, free of computer glitches and brown-outs!

Lee said...

How strange...and how damn annoying! Let's hope you get no more surprises for a while, Robyn!

Hootin Anni said...

YOU HAVE A HALLOWEEN TREAT OVER AT MY BLOG---it's found in the Friday's entries...scroll down.

Unknown said...

This is all new to me! I’ve never experienced a brown out. I’m happy to know you’ve returned to full power. Any change in the weird condition of your computer?

Meow (aka Connie) said...

That's just freaky, although something similar has happened here on the (very) odd occasion. Not sure if I like the sound of the sink maybe being live ... that's NOT good !!!
Take care, Meow