19 June 2008

Flowers

Looking at my bromeliads the other day, I saw this...which I pinched off Darryl last year. The colours haven't come out well, but the outside is the brightest pink while the inside part is grey. They look like buds and I'm not sure if they open or not. I'll keep an eye on it and if it does anything else, will post a photo.

Then, the Sunday before last, Jane and I got up in the wee small hours and went to the markets at Mount Gravatt. They open at 5.00 am, it takes half-an-hour or so to drive there, so you can imagine what time we were up. It was bitterly cold because we'd had a southerly change sweep though so there we were all bundled up as if we were going to Antarctica, with our torches, fossicking through the goodies. Jane picked up a bargain immediately...two enormous terracotta garden pots for $30 the pair. Seeing as they would go for $80 each retail, she was very happy with that. They were for Fred and she knew he would be delighted with them as well.

I found these...

a very pretty bilbergia...unfortunately the colours haven't shown up very well. The pink outer part is a lovely bright colour, while the actual flowers are lime green and black. Most unusual. I also got this...

a yellow bromeliad, which Fred was coveting. I told him he could have a piece once it multiplies. I haven't seen a pure yellow bromeliad before so I had to have it. I also got a small curry bush. I love the smell of that when you brush up against it...just lovely.

What else did I get...oh yes, a couple of wooden puzzles for Cooper, a rather nice little vase and of course, some lovely fresh veges and strawberries. A pack of organic Turkish bread and...best of all, New Zealand kumaras. Now this is the NZ sweet potato. They sell what are called kumaras in Australia but they are nothing like the taste, texture or colour of the NZ ones. So, I bought about four and had some that night...oh, bliss. I can't explain the taste but you've never had a sweet potato until you've had a NZ kumara.
They can be boiled, baked or fried, made into chips, which ever way they are cooked, they're absolutely delicious. It's usually one of the first things I ask mum to cook, along with smoked fish pie and buying some smoked fish roe, when I go over there. As I mentioned in a previous past, Gabbie and I are visiting all in NZ later this year. I'll tell you about when I come back...and put plenty of photos up, too.
Anyway, I digress. We got some great bargains at the markets and Jane did her fruit and vege shopping as well as buying a lovely big bunch of flowers for Fred's sister, who had been in hospital. Then, our shopping done, we had breakfast. Bacon, eggs and onions on a lovely soft roll and delicious piping hot coffee...it really hit the spot. By this time the sun was well and truly up, but there was a cold wind. We still had plenty of layers on but had divested ourselves of the scarves, hats and gloves.
After loading the car up, we arrived back home about 9.30 and of course, had to show Fred and Ken what we'd bought, Fred was ecstatic about the terracotta pots...then I went home and had a sleep!

8 comments:

Andree said...

Oh Robyn, you're still having your adventures (and with my quiet life, these are adventures). I am still marveling at how different your plants are from ours!

Karen said...

You need to add something else to your profile....Professional Bargain Hunter. Between ebay and now the markets you are doing so well.

I love markets and trying to hunt down a good bargain but not at the expense of my beauty sleep and especially not in the cold weather. What a brave soul you are. brrrr.....

Liz Hinds said...

Getting up at that time it must be serious shopping!

I planted a tiny curry plant the other week: it's looking a bit sorry for itself now ... But I love the smell too. I wish it were possible to share smells over the internet!

Walker said...

The early bird gets the worm or in this case, the bargains lol

I ate a root while i was in NZ that was white after you peeled the monster and turned grey when boiled.
It was startchy I don't know if its the same thing you are talking about but I have to admit the color kinda set me back a bit. Looked like boiled brain matter LOL
But i did get used to it and enjoyed eating it.

Unknown said...

Wooden puzzles! I don’t believe I’ve seen those in the store around here since I was a child!

Beautiful flowers, BTW.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

What fun!! I would love to come to your country!! How fun!! I love sweet potatoes so i bet i would like these kumaras too!! i am watching my grands again today!! Sandy

Gattina said...

When the weather is OK I go each sunday to the Brussels midi market. It's the second biggest market in Europe with 400 stands ! I like the athmosphere there and the mixture of all nationalities. I usually buy my clothes there it's unbelievably cheap you get brand T-shirts or sweaters for 3 to 5 € ! Jeans between 5 and 10 ! they are mostly coming from shops which did bankrupcy. At these prices you imagine that I change quite often lol ! (I made a post about it on my Country and City blog)

Unknown said...

Robyn: One of my best friends from England is a tree surgeon and horticulturist who was educated at Kew Gardens. The Bromeliads brought back great memories serving on his non-profit board, Families for the Rainforest!